Thursday, September 23, 2010

Adelaide Bryan: Adventures at American University of Cairo

Adelaide Bryan is a NELC student currently studying abroad in Cairo, Egypt. To document her unique adventures in the sand land, Addy has begun a regular blog posting that you can view at http://addytravel.wordpress.com/egypt/.

"Officially Adelaide, introduced as Addy, and this is my travel blog…
I am just days away from starting out on what will be incredible eight months in Egypt.  Over the summer I will be participating in a volunteer program though Marhaba (gomarhaba.org and I’m in Program 2).  Volunteers will,
"(T)each conversational English classes at Resala, a large development organization led by Egyptian youth. Resala offers a range of programs, including Arabic literacy classes, food and clothing distribution, courses for the blind, and orphanages for street children. Marhaba volunteers will teach young Egyptian adults who volunteer at the centers. Volunteers will work in pairs at different branches of the organization throughout Cairo.”
During the fall semester, I will attend the American University in Cairo (AUC) through Indiana University’s Egypt Study Abroad program.  My major at IU is Anthropology and Near Eastern Languages & Cultures (Arabic) with a possible Political Science minor, but that minor is still very much in the works. My goal in Egypt is to speak Arabic as much as possible, and to find out what it's like to be an international student.

On a very different note, but still very relevant, I am notoriously a bad speller.When in doubt, I sound it out, and have found this rarely works. Though I am going to try my best to keep spelling errors to a minimum, it is unlikely that I will be faultless. So, I can say they’re incorrect, they will at least always be creative if not at least phonetic."

For more stories, pictures and camels, please check out Addy's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment